Executive Director Job Description
Fall 2015 New York Interfaith Power & Light is a faith-‐based nonprofit organization working to fight climate change. We believe climate change is the moral issue of our time. We are the New York state chapter of the Interfaith Power & Light movement, with chapters in 40 states. We have 110 member congregations throughout New York.
We help congregations reduce their carbon footprint, increase energy efficiency, explore opportunities to use renewable energy, and educate their members on climate change. We also encourage people of faith to speak to politicians and others in positions of power about global warming, and to collaborate with other faith communities in these efforts.
We are seeking a part-time (20 hours/week) Executive Director. This is a work-‐ from-‐home position, and can be located anywhere in the state of New York.
The Executive Director is responsible for leading, growing, and managing NYIPL, under the direction of the Board of Directors. The Executive Director is expected to help NYIPL deliver on its mission while achieving financial stability. Major responsibilities include fundraising, board development, public relations, assurance of legal and fiduciary compliance, growing our membership and increasing active participation by current members in the organization.
- Fundraising – work with the board to ensure the financial health of the organization. Develop and implement fundraising strategies, including major donors, direct mail, and grant writing.
- Board development – coordinate board and committee meetings.
- Program – ensure congregations have access to information about energy audits, energy efficiency in general, and renewable energy options. Within the constraints of our 501(c)(3) status, let politicians and others in power know that people of faith care about climate change.
- Outreach – recruit new member congregations, new donors, and new board members.
- Communications – update website and social media with current news and upcoming events; publish a weekly electronic newsletter.
- Speaking and/or representing the organization at public/private events.
- Administration – process donations, manage membership information and budget.
- Commitment to our interfaith mission, and passionate about climate change
- Proven track record at the executive level of a non-profit organization or a similar entity
- Three or more years of fundraising experience
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Able to articulate one’s faith commitment in relationship to care for the earth
- Public speaking experience
- Experience with social media
- Four year college degree, graduate degree a plus
- Solid computer skills and accounting experience a plus
- Must have access to high-‐speed internet, printer, and telephone Salary and Benefits
Salary: $18,000 -‐ $25,000, based on experience, plus business expense reimbursements as budgeted. This is a salaried, executive position, not considered to be hourly.
Travel: Moderate, including visits to congregations across New York State, attendance at the annual IPL meeting in Washington DC, and attendance at the annual NYIPL meeting. (Travel expenses are reimbursed.)
Benefits: NYIPL is unable to offer benefits (health insurance, paid time off, etc.) at this time. With proper commitment, fundraising and growth, the Board will make available additional salary and benefits for this to become a full-‐time position.
Termination: On two weeks written notice from the Board of Directors or the Executive Director. There is no minimum length of contract implied in this position.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com.